DERELICT FOR ABOUT 100 YEARS
Designed by Frederick Morley, the Merrion Pier, Promenade and Baths in 1863. The baths did not operate all year round but were usually open from late May until September. A national publication noted in 1863 that the cost of admittance was well beyond what a labourer could afford, particularly if accompanied by his wife and children.
The baths measured approximately 40 by 40 metres, with a 75-metre pier added in 1884. The pier featured a bandstand halfway along it and summer concerts were regularly held there for many years. By 1920, the pier had deteriorated so much that it had to be demolished. The concrete baths section, which resembles a small harbour, remains.